Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake

I tried to think of a different title for this post, but really, what's more enticing than that? With the last weekend of summer approaching, I thought I'd share this great summer recipe.

First of all, you should know that I am a HUGE fan of Southern Living magazine, and Cooking Light is a close second. Pretty much every dish I make for special occasions and not-so-special occasions comes from one of these two magazines. Need proof?

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Peach Pie (July 2011)

Lucious Spice Cake with Citrus Filling (December 2010)

Some kind of coconut cake (c. January 2011) 

I am a true Southern lady even though I was technically born in the Midwest, never wear big hats, and can't pull off saying "ain't" even if I'm trying to be funny or dramatic. I appreciate all things Southern, so seeing this magazine appear in the mailbox alway puts a big smile on my face.

I made this recipe a few weeks ago and got rave reviews from my family. I'm kind of bummed I didn't take a picture of it. Don't be deterred by the fact that this is actually three recipes in one, it really came together quickly (aside from 8 hours of freezer time, which I condensed into about 4--not recommended). The cake recipe is so good I'll be using it for other chocolate cakes in the future. Oh, and never fear, ganache is fancy for microwaved chocolate and cream that come together to make a delicious chocolate topping that hardens in just a minute. Without further ado...

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
(from Southern Living, August 2011)
(Photo copyright Southern Living magazine)
Ingredients
  • Parchment paper
  • Devil's Food Cake Batter
  • 1/2 gal. mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
  • 10 chocolate wafers, coarsely crushed
  • Chocolate Ganache
  • Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, thin crème de menthe chocolate mints

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper. Prepare Devil's Food Cake Batter, and spoon into pans.
  2. Bake at 350º for 12 to 14 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, peel off parchment paper, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
  3. Place 1 cake layer in a 9-inch springform pan. Top with one-third of ice cream (about 2 1/3 cups); sprinkle with half of crushed wafers. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer and ice cream. Freeze 8 to 12 hours.
  4. Remove cake from springform pan, and place on a cake stand or plate. Prepare Chocolate Ganache, and spread over top of ice-cream cake. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
If you haven't learned this already, the first rule of cooking (according to me) is always read the entire recipe first. When you don't, you get started on a delicious meal for your friends that are coming over in two hours, then get to a step that says "Refrigerate 4 hours." Doh! I didn't exactly do that with this recipe, but I didn't allow myself enough time to let it freeze (I did 4-5 hours, it called for 8-12) and it wasn't as hard as it was supposed to be. Even with that little setback, it was delicious!

I'll leave you with this thought...which is a better flavor combination? Chocolate and mint OR chocolate and peanut butter? It's a toss up for me. Leave me your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment