Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Extreme Laundry Room Makeover

A few months ago, my Facebook friends may remember me posting something about getting a new washer and dryer and being really excited about it. So that happened, but it wasn't just a new washer and dryer, I got a whole new laundry room. Okay, some people are reading this and thinking I must lead the most boring life ever, but I know that some of my (female) readers know this is pretty cool. The inspiration for our new laundry room came from something I saw in The Container Store catalog, so you know it's good.

I wish I had gotten a better "before" picture, but how often do you think to take pictures of your laundry room? So I came across this picture, which at least took place in the laundry room, though it doesn't exactly show the whole thing. But who am I kidding? All my laundry room is is a pass through room between the garage and the house, you know the kind. There is room for a washer, dryer and drying rack, plus there was a single wooden shelf above each. So here is the "before" picture:

Yes, that was Lanna dressed for her second Easter. To begin our Extreme Laundry Room Makeover, Eric tore out the wooden shelves to give us room to...stack the washer and dryer! Okay, I always thought your could only stack tiny washers and dryers, like the kind you might have in a small apartment. But apparently with the new front loading washers and dryers, you can stack many full-size versions too.  Then, we installed floor-to-ceiling shelving, which included drawers for gift wrapping and crafting supplies galore, plus room for hanging clothes as well. Seriously, I have so much room in the laundry room now, I'm still trying to find stuff to put in there! Don't worry, I'll fill it, but currently there are still two completely empty drawers. So, drumroll please...

The room didn't actually get any bigger, so it was a little difficult to get a picture of the whole thing, so if you're really interested in seeing what we did, pay us a visit or check this out:

That picture is almost exactly it, minus a few shelves and a couple drawers. I pretty much just brought the catalog to the store, pointed at the picture and said, "I want this." Oh, and if you really like what we did, don't run out and buy it today. Elfa goes on sale 30% off in January. We got it 25% off in September. I just love it! Cheers to my husband for installing the whole thing by his manly self in just a few hours!

1 comment: